About this Masterclass
Australia is home to the oldest continuous living culture in the world. This is a heritage which all Australian organisations share, and have a responsibility to nurture and sustain. The economic participation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples provides a real path to reconciliation – and also allows the strengthening of ethical behaviour whilst working more effectively with Indigenous communities.
Indigenous Cultural Competency Masterclass will give organisations and individuals the skills to strengthen ethical behaviour by developing an understanding of obligations and responsibilities to Land and to each other – as Aboriginal people have practised for thousands of years. You will build your cultural capability to work effectively with members of the Aboriginal community and lead Aboriginal staff with greater impact and empathy. Most importantly, you will to improve retention of Aboriginal staff, make sure your employers, supervisors, and workplaces understand Aboriginal experience and what they can do to make Aboriginal employment work.
About your facilitator:
Mundanara Bayles, Managing Director, Australian BlackCar
The Australian BlackCard Pty Ltd (BlackCard) is a 100% Aboriginal owned business certified with Supply Nation and was established in 2013.
BlackCard is a specialist consultancy providing cultural capability training and consultancy services to enable people and organisations to work effectively with members of the Aboriginal community. Their purpose is Working with people, not for people, with the genius of Aboriginal Knowledge.
BlackCard’s approach is based on a number of courses developed by Dr Lilla Watson and Dr Mary Graham, Aboriginal Elders and Educators and long-time course developers and lecturers for the University of Queensland. The courses they developed and taught were core university subjects such as “Aboriginal Perspectives” and “Aboriginal Approaches to Knowledge” both at an undergraduate and post- graduate level since the 1970’s.
BlackCard operates with the authority of Elders, who have provided expertise for over 30 years to enterprises, governments, corporate and industry sectors.
Key Course Takeaways
- Understand the value and importance of leadership for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- Confidence you need to navigate your role and engage with multiple stakeholders.
- Internalize leadership styles, qualities and behaviours.
- Develop strategic leadership skills that are effective & informed by both Indigenous culture & Western best practice.
- Deepen cultural awareness & identity in the context of business leadership.
- Appreciate challenges & opportunities in future Indigenous leaders.
- Take Away practical skills such as negotiating, problem solving and above-the-line thinking.
- Leverage communication skills for shared understanding and increased impact.
- Develop your unique, authentic leadership style.
- Influence and engage with others with more impact and presence.
- Deepen & broaden your worldview and ability to co-ordinate different perspectives.
- Understand your strengths, blind spots and what is holding you back.
- Appreciate the patterns that define your current state of being.
- Move towards new and powerful ways of fulfilling your purpose.
- Contribute to the development of indigenous leaders and staff within your organisation.
- Current and Future Indigenous Leaders
- Senior Management to CEO
- HR, Diversity and Indigenous Development
- Procurement and Supply Chain
- Government departments across all levels
- Community engagement